I’ve spent a lot of time recently reflecting on how much work we’ve put into the quest for talent at 383, and the impact that’s had on our recruitment process over the last 18 months.
It’s really hard when you lead on the company recruitment program to disentangle the noise and opinions around best practice for finding great candidates, interviewing and making hiring decisions. Over the water cooler, I’ve heard that “our recruitment process is too long”, or “I’m not sure I’d get through it”. Or everyone thinks they are an amazing hiring manager – It doesn’t matter where I’ve worked, managers have their ready-made formula for success and almost always these involve voodoo hiring habits. Even I’m not exempt from this. Have I hired someone based on their energy and thinking they ‘might’ be a good fit? Yep! Did it work out? No! Have I been guilty of just assuming that when someone tells me they are a team player and organised, I take their word for it? Of course I have!
Having recognised that we'd been falling into the same common trap, here's where we've netted out in our approach if you’re keen to be a part of the 383 team.
We don’t believe in seven stage interviews, psychometric testing and mass committees deliberating if you’re worthy enough to be a part of our team. But we won’t just have a chinwag over a coffee and offer you a job on the spot either.
What’s really important is you feel we’re a fit for you, and vice versa, so we will spend some time getting to know each other before we talk job contracts.
You can expect a transparent process that’s a level playing field for all candidates, a challenging brief to answer, a connection with a member of the leadership team, and a very friendly approach from our side. We want you to succeed and give you the stage to show the best side of yourself. After all, this is the type of challenge 383ers thrive on.
Five tips for becoming a 383er
On paper, our process looks scary, but here’s the blunt truth and five tips on how best to get ready to meet our team if you’d love to be a 383er.
1) Preparation: It goes without saying right? We’ll give you a minimum of a week to prepare a brief response but shout if you need more time or clarification. We’d rather you absolutely nail it and show the very best of yourself. Never be afraid to let us know you don’t understand the brief or if you’re struggling to find the time. Obviously, we don’t want to wait for weeks but we’ll find a way to make it work, we want you to do well on the day.
2) Dressing up: Put simply, don’t bother. If you’re more comfortable wearing smart attire then go for your life but we’re more interested in who you are and what you’re like to be around each day. We’re a relaxed environment when it comes to workwear. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I didn’t wear a t-shirt, jeans, and trainers to work – it’s simply who I am.
3) Follow the brief: If you’ve been asked to present a brief response there are two key pointers I can give here. Namely ensuring you’ve answered the brief itself – reread your deck as many times as you need to make sure you’ve responded to everything – and that you stay on time. There’s no point preparing a sixty slide ppt if you’ve been explicitly told to prepare a 15 minute presentation. If you’re still going on after an hour, we will stop you, and likely long before then. We’re nice, but not that nice.
4) Be genuine: We want to hear it all, the good stuff and the bad, so be candid when we discuss your experiences. It’s ok to share negative moments, we’re interested in the journey as a whole, not the version you think we might want to hear.
5) Got a question: It’s your absolute right to ask as many questions as you like, before the interview, during and even after you’ve been offered a role. You need to know that 383 is the right place for you. so don’t hold back. It’s a two-way conversation and you’ll be investing just as much of yourself as we are in the process. If we can’t answer in the moment, you can be sure we’ll get back to you ASAP.
With us continuing to grow, there’s always going to be opportunities surfacing at 383. Check out our careers page to see what’s currently open. If you smash those tips above, there’s a strong chance you’ll join the team, and you’ll know what it takes to be a great 383er. And if you join, we’d love to get you involved in our hiring teams so we can find the 383ers of tomorrow together.